Thursday, January 29, 2009

Lessons From The Pigs














One day I’m feeding four pigs their morning breakfast of flakes and food waste, and the next day they’re being hauled off in a truck.

One day I’m watching the big pig bully the little pig over the breakfast of flakes and food waste, and the next day they’re all returned back to the farm – equally in pieces.

In the States, we mostly don’t like to think of our ultimate demise; even witnessing pigs become pork was difficult for me. So I’ve thought about what the four pigs could teach and I gathered four lessons:

1) Enjoy where you’re at. As long as your heart is there, home is there - even if you’re standing in your own sh--.
2) Love what you eat. Pigs don’t get indigestion..they adore it all.
3) Be kind to your family and neighbor. In the end, we all end up equally the same.

And the last one occurred to me when I witnessed the smiles and content looks of a full belly at the dinner table after a long day prepping the meat and finally enjoying the evening’s meal of blood sausage.

4) If possible, give something of your life so that you may live eternally through the joy of another.

2 comments:

  1. hi Brigy Brig!

    Just read over the bread entry - oh can I come right now and help? To place a warm, moist loaf of dough into a wood burning oven and create a yummy crusty bread..... but if I come I'll have to herd those chickens and stuff the sausage too, right? Thanks for the blog, sweetie, it is wonderful to read your words and know that you are doing just fine. And I can live a bit vicariously through you. Thanks and have a bite of that bread for me.

    Joyster

    ReplyDelete