Thursday, March 19, 2009

Winding Down









After a physically demanding day of shoveling, wood-hauling, and cleaning, my preferred late afternoon activity was a run up to the neighboring village of Buzzo. After a physically non-demanding day of ironing, potato-peeling, and mending, my preferred late afternoon activity is a run up to the neighboring village of Buzzo. Seeing that is not feasible at the moment, I decide to do a “lap” around the farm on the OPO crutches (they are - after all - the Utility Model) with my wound-up energy.

The sun rests low on the horizon casting an orange glow on the valley. A young bull scratches an itch on a tractor hitch. A pile of slate waits and waits. Wood leans on a table saw that’s green.

Budding trees salute the sky. Laundry billows and hangs to dry. Wheelbarrows rest with their legs held high.

I watch the chickens kick up the freshly laid manure in vegetable garden, forging worms for their evening meal. Everyone, everything, is winding down.

My lap concludes, and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment