Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Balance With Cappuccino









I haven’t yet entered Ezzio’s Dairy Farm as I’m in deep conversation with Marco, Ezzio’s 90 year old father. I’m fascinated by his story: father of seven, Albareto’s Mayor of 38 years, and the original Dairy Farm owner/farmer. This information I’ve gathered from Marco’s daughter-in-law; Leonora speaks English. Marco and I speak hand-waving.


Our game of charades comes to an end when from the barn we hear a deafening sound. I run for the noise and am greeted by Ezzio who points to a little bundle of light brown wetness in the form of a tiny calf. Only minutes old, the placenta is still dripping from Ponga the mom. She cries again. But it is not because Ponga is giving birth, as I originally thought, but because Toxic, the neighboring cow (and so named because she likes medicine) is licking her baby.


I stood stunned!


Ponga licks her calf; Toxic licks Ponga’s calf;
Ponga belts a thunderous protest;
Ponga licks her calf; Toxic licks Ponga’s calf;
Ponga belts a thunderous protest;
Ad infinitum.
Toxic, I’m told, is also a recent mother and unbothered by Ponga’s cries. Her instinct to lick the newborn far outweighs any complaints from the real mother.


In the big picture, it all makes sense now: One calf is born and has no mother to nurture it. Another calf is born and had two.


Nature is always in balance.
It’s just that sometimes we need help seeing it.

1 comment:

  1. HI Brigi
    Just caught up with all your wonderful stories of days past.
    Had some house guests so checking emails, etc. went to the wayside.
    i enjoyed all. I think you should really consider becoming a writer.
    You have an amazing way of describing your experiences. I feel like I'm right there!
    loving it
    love you,
    pammy

    ReplyDelete