Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Freedom and Feeding









Following several days of snowfall, Mother Nature gave us several days of rainfall. On the first day that lacked precipitation, the animals - and man - went wild.

On some mornings, the chickens - like man - need encouragement to leave their beds. Man hears the alarm clock for this task; chickens hear the rooster ; (and let me assure you, man with chickens also hears the rooster. ) On this particular morning, the chickens, tired of being cooped in their coop, were already at the entrance when I approached their pen. They dashed out the gate, crazed for grub the rain had unveiled. Across the farm they pecked as if they hadn’t eaten for days.

The horse and the sheep were equally as enlivened by the sunshine and the prospect of chow. In their feeding frenzy, the sheep knocked their bucket of grain onto the muddy ground. Giacomina, the stable horse, capitalized on an open fence and galloped out for greener pastures; with a snow shovel I chased the animal back into her quarters and wondered if perhaps the sheep and the horse hadn’t eaten for days.

Now that the streets were cleared by the rain, I bolted for the hills upon completing work. There under a tree, I found a treasure that had previously been buried beneath snow. A pile of apples lay scattered on the ground. I took a seat in the mud, loaded my pockets with fruit and ate four apples in a feeding frenzy. You’d think I hadn’t eaten in days.




No comments:

Post a Comment