Sunday, February 22, 2009

On The Bright Side





Back at home in Santa Barbara, my girlfriend shaved her head. She wrote on a rainy day and said the weather was ideal for hanging at the house. I presume the chemo was taking its toll, although she never mentioned that part; she only spoke of the good timing.

The weather in Albareto had also been stormy; so much so, that over 10 large window panels in the 50 meter offsite greenhouse were shattered. Maria and I spent several hours picking up shard pieces by hand, from the flower beds, from the clustered flora, from the damp soil, from the pebbled walk ways, and around the rocky perimeter of the nursery– chip after chip – piece by piece.

We filled four hefty boxes with glass fragments. And although we were on our knees for much of the morning, we didn’t mind the assignment; it smelled divine in the greenhouse, especially as one brushed against a plant.

On our return walk home to Casa Lanzarotti, we passed through small villages protected by small dogs, and discussed the day’s work. We spoke of the ideal setting for such toil. If you’re going to pick up glass shard, may it be in a greenhouse full of lavender.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brigit! I finally caught up on your blog posts...a lot of reading, but since It's raining here and I'm waiting to see if it will be ok to ride my bike, I had some spare time. Poor Stella...I felt sad about that one. I hope you continue to look on the bright side! All's well here...

    ReplyDelete